Say hello to Spring with these sweet, salty and zesty White Chocolate Lemon Popcorn Truffles. Gluten-free and vegan.
The calendar says that Spring has sprung but apparently Mother Nature didn’t get the memo.
This week has been somewhat of a wash in terms of the weather – it’s gone from thunder storms to spotty sun all week long, which doesn’t exactly scream “Spring!” but it doesn’t make me feel like I need to wrap myself inside a blanket all day long either. So I suppose Spring is on its way -it’s just taking it’s sweet time apparently.
Until the Spring weather arrives I’m going to be “faking it till I make it” over here, bringing out all the colorful and bright recipes that I can. Maybe I can trick Spring weather into showing up if I start eating more spring foods? I guess it’s worth a shot, especially if it involves these white chocolate lemon popcorn truffles!
I’m pretty sure that I know what you are thinking. Popcorn truffles? Really, Kat?
Yes friends, popcorn truffles.
Being the lover of the sweet and salty combo I actually can’t believe that I never thought of this combination before. We’ve all seen popcorn used in chocolate barks before – why the heck wouldn’t we put the stuff inside of truffles too?!
As tempted as I was to go the peanut butter and chocolate route [which will more than likely still happen one day] I really wanted this recipe to be bright and cheerful. I wanted it to be an ode to Spring in a way – and what says spring better than bright, zesty lemon and white chocolate?
And while I’m sure you could, I didn’t use just any old regular popped popcorn for this recipe. I used SkinnyPop popcorn – one of my all time favorite brands and snacks to munch on when that salty craving hits [and trust me – it hits often!]. I personally think that the SkinnyPop is what made these popcorn truffles so dang amazing – the popcorn itself is sturdy but not overly crisp, which yields itself to a really delicious truffle center. And y’all the amount of sweet to salty is sheer perfection. I’m telling you if you can, use SkinnyPop for these truffles!
That being said, don’t deny yourself the amaziness of these popcorn truffles if you can’t find yourself some SkinnyPop. Make ’em any way that you can!
So what exactly are these truffles made of? There’s:
- SkinnyPop popcorn
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- coconut oil
- maple syrup
- white chocolate
And that’s it! No complicated ingredients here, as per usual with the recipes found here on Katalyst Health. I’m telling you guys, I’m a no muss, no fuss kind of girl. That has never been more evident than through a quick scroll through my blog recipes 😉
As for yesterday’s post, well once again I’ve gotta give all of you guys a big virtual hug for your kind words and support. I am just so dang thankful to you all – you’ve been such a blessing, inspiration and motivation for me. I’ve got some fairly big news to share with you guys but I’m trying not to psych myself out of it, so I’m not going to talk about it until it becomes official. It’ll all make sense soon I hope! 🙂
Until then I’m going to be eating away my nerves with some popcorn truffles and hoping for some dry, Spring weather.
- 4 cups SkinnyPop original popcorn, or other popcorn
- ¼ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup coconut oil, soft
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 bag white chocolate chips, dairy-free
- 1 lemon, zested
- extra lemon zest, for topping
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Set aside.
- Toss together popcorn and coconut in a large bowl.
- Cream together the coconut oil and maple syrup until smooth. Pour over popcorn mixture, then using your hands, toss to coat well. Place mixture into the fridge for 10 minutes to come together.
- Using a spoonful at a time, squeeze popcorn mixture together in your hands until it forms a ball. It's ok if popcorn gets crushed! Wet hands to make handling easier. Place popcorn balls onto the baking sheet.
- Once all of the popcorn has been formed into balls, set in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- While popcorn is chilling, melt your white chocolate chips. Add lemon zest, then stir until smooth and set aside for a few minutes to cool. If chocolate is hot it will melt the coconut oil and the popcorn balls will fall apart.
- Using one at a time, dip the popcorn balls into the white chocolate. Roll around so that it is full coated, then place back on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with extra lemon zest.
- Repeat with remaining popcorn until all have been coated in white chocolate. Store in the refridgerator until ready to eat.
Have you ever used popcorn in a creative way?
Favorite SkinnyPop flavor?