These vegan and gluten-free pancakes are loaded with blueberries and just a touch of zesty orange flavor! Drizzled with a delicious maple orange syrup, these vegan blueberry orange pancakes are a bright way to start the day!
Did you miss it? I sure did. I know I have had a few recipes with it lately, but this one is of the orange variety and not of the lime variety. Shocking? I know.
Except it’s really not shocking when you think about it being paired with blueberries. Lime and blueberries? Doesn’t really hit the same notes as orange and blueberries. Lime and blackberries however? You’d better believe that combination is coming asap.
But I’ve got a bit of truth to spill here – the reason these vegan blueberry orange pancakes are well…vegan, is because I ran out of eggs. #foodieproblems
But seriously, I could lie to you guys and tell you that I came up with these vegan pancakes because blah, blah, blah but the truth is I simply didnt have eggs. Probably not a glorious truth, but its the truth nonetheless. How’s that for a Saturday morning?
And to continue with that honesty I actually do like to make my pancakes sans eggs, but I was using my new gluten-free flour blend and was a bit worried that it wouldn’t do so great without eggs. Much to my surprise [and joy!] the flour did just fine without any eggs. Victory!
Yep – that means all my one-pan dinners, eggs, stir-fry’s, pancakes, etc get made in the same pan. GASP! What kind of food blogger am I?! A cheap one, my friends….a very cheap one.
So unfortunetly due to my old pan [poor thing] these pancakes weren’t really cooked evenly or as crisp on the outside as I would’ve liked. I tried to let them cook a bit longer in the pan, but that only led to sticking and a few curse words flying out of my mouth. Sorry Jesus, can’t tame this naughty tongue no matter how hard I try.
Now let’s talk about the syrup used on these pancakes. I’m typically not one for overly sweet things in the morning [unless it’s cake – there’s never a bad time for cake], but the syrup for these vegan blueberry orange pancakes is off.the.hook amazing and perfectly matched. Maple + orange? Yep – just go ahead and pour that straight into my mouth.
I think my favorite part about these pancakes is how bright the flavors are. Chocolate is great don’t get me wrong, but it’s not a “bright” flavor. Orange and blueberry however? They are like the freaking sun.
Which is probably why a I wanted a “bright” syrup to match my “bright” pancakes. I didn’t want to dull all that brightness [should we count how many times I use the word bright?] with plain old syrup, so in came the orange! And let me tell you…it was a good choice on my end.
Alright, enough yammering about the dang flavors and all their “brightness” [got it in there one more time!]. Here’s the recipe for my Vegan Blueberry Orange Pancakes. I hope they will brighten your day! 😉
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- In a bowl, mix together the milk, orange juice, and orange zest.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Slowly stir the wet ingredients into the dry until incorporated.
- Add the blueberries and stir until just mixed.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cup into hot pan. Allow pancakes to fully cook until you can see bubbles, then flip.
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT vanilla extract into a small pot.
- Heat to a gentle boil and whisk occassionally until syrup thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- Once cooled, stir in vanilla extract.
- Refriderate until ready to use.
- If you want a sweeter pancake, simply add 2 to 4 tablespoons of maple syrup to the batter!
P.S. I’m linking up with Spoons today for Sweet & Savory Saturday! Head on over to Amanda’s blog to check out the fun!
Are you a blueberry and orange fan?