This comforting Vegan Italian Meatball Soup is chock full of vegetables and meatless meatballs. With simple meatballs made from lentils and quinoa, this soup makes for a hearty meal!
And just like that, Christmas has passed up by.
Isn’t today considered one of the most depressing days of the year? Or maybe that’s just me. I swear guys, the day after Christmas is my least favorite day. I know that people like to use it as almost a re-boot – taking down the decor and such makes them feel like it’s a fresh start [a new year before the new year] but I am just not about all that. In fact, I told Ninja he couldn’t take down the decorations until the New Year.
Other than being super depressed about the fact that Christmas is now over, my actual Christmas was absolutely perfect and beautiful. Sometimes I still can’t believe that I am here with my family – and being able to watch my siblings rip into their presents on Christmas day is something that I never thought I would be able to see. It was just a perfect day with them and I hope that you all had a beautiful day with your families as well 🙂
But now that Christmas is over 🙁 it is time to move on to new things! And no, I’m not just talking about the New Year – I’m talking about new recipes! Like this Vegan Italian Meatball Soup.
Like I said in last week’s WIAW post, I can’t believe that I am just now discovering the magic that is lentils. And while I don’t particularly enjoy them by themselves, I have enjoyed experimenting with them and using them in various recipes. Case in point – vegan meatballs.
Last week when I was brainstorming soup ideas I was wanting to make a hearty vegetable soup but I also wanted to make a soup that had a good amount of protein in it. My last soups haven’t been very protein rich and while I don’t think that is a pre-requisite for every soup, I do like knowing that I am getting a bit of protein in every meal that I eat, especially seeing as how I don’t eat much meat.
Which is why I am so dang obsessed with these simple lentil meatballs!
Not only do they resemble meat in appearance and texture but they are also loaded with plant-based protein from not just lentils but also quinoa. Oh and they are stinkin’ delicious, so there’s also that 😉
I’ve even used these meatballs paired with zoodles and a simple sauce, so if soup is not your thing feel free to make these lentil meatballs without the soup! I actually ate them completely by themselves with just a side of steamed broccoli as well and they were super yummy. My only advice with this vegan italian meatball soup is to not put the meatballs into the soup until you are ready to eat it. Since these meatballs aren’t meat they will get soft and sort of fall apart on you, which doesn’t bother me but it might bother you. It’s an easy fix though – just add the meatballs only to the bowl you are about to eat and you are good to go!
As for the rest of the soup, I opted for red potatoes [unpeeled] because they are my all time favorite tater, but Yukon or Idaho potatoes would work just as well! And of course feel free to peel them if you prefer. I’m a fan of unpeeled potatoes in pretty much every dish – even mashed potatoes! Is that weird?
Regardless, this vegan italian meatball soup is a comforting bowl of plant-based nutrition [but maybe leave that part out when feeding to carnivores ;)] Let me know if you guys give this soup a try – ir even just the meatballs! They are on my weekly to-make list now, that’s for sure.
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, fresh
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat a small pan over medum heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and chopped onion. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add onion to a large bowl along with remaining "meatball" ingredients. Mix and mash until combined.
- Roll into 1-2 tablespoon sized "meatballs". Place on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until slightly crisp on the outside.
- While the "meatballs" are cooking, heat a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes and celery.
- Once potatoes and carrots have softened, stir in the broth, tomatoes, seasoning and worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes have softened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, laddle soup into bowls and top with more fresh parsley and 3-4 meatballs.
- Store soup and meatballs separately.
How was your Christmas?
What is your favorite way to eat lentils?