These Vegan Ganache Filled Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies are made with just a few ingredients. Gluten-free, grain-free and dairy-free, these cookies are a decadent treat that are simple to make!
Does anyone else hear the Angels singing or is that just me? 😉
Since I posted such a healthy recipe on Monday [seriously, those quinoa granola bars are chock full of goodness!], I thought I would share something with you guys today that was not-so-healthy. And by not-so-healthy I mean chock full of sugar and chocolate – also known as the good stuff! That being said, these ganache filled peanut butter sandwich cookies aren’t actually the worst thing for you. Sure, they do contain sugar but they do not contain any grains, gluten, eggs or dairy. And yet they are still.so.tasty.
These cookies were actually my last ditch effort of making use of some leftover ganache that I had used for another recipe. I have been testing out a cake recipe recently [ still not ready!] and had some leftover ganache from the cake that I wanted to use in a fun way. When I got to thinking about blog recipes it hit me – I seriously haven’t posted a cookie recipe in ages! And no, my Superfood Breakfast Cookies don’t count!
So that is how this beauties were born 🙂
The ganache that I had already made was a vegan ganache made from dairy-free chocolate chips and coconut cream, so I figured I should stick to the vegan thing and keep the cookies vegan as well. I wasn’t quite sure I was going to go the peanut butter route at first but let’s be honest, what’s better than a freaking peanut butter cup in cookie form?! Because that’s basically what these ganache filled peanut butter sandwich cookies are – well, I guess they are more of an inside out peanut butter cup, but you get the point!
I opted to go with my favorite flourless peanut butter cookie recipe for a few reasons. 1] They are simple to make and require just a few ingredients and 2] I’ve never had anyone try them who didn’t love them! I knew that they would work perfectly as a sandwich cookie as well because of how soft yet sturdy they are. Seriously for cookies that are made without any flour I am always surprised by how well they stay together!
And can we take a second to pause and just praise the chocolate gods for ganache? Beccause this stuff is amazing. So much so that I could eat it with a spoon. Not that I did that or anything..
So simple to make, so incredibly delicious and made with only a few ingredients, these Ganache Filled Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies are a must make for any peanut butter chocolate lovers!
- For the Ganache:
- 10 ounces dairy-free chocolate chips
- ½ cup coconut cream from a can
- For the Cookies:
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- For the Ganache:
- Place chocolate chips into a large bowl.
- Heat the coconut cream in a small saucepan until hot but not boiling. Pour over chocolate chips and stir until smooth. Cover and chill until thickened.
- For the Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the peanut butter and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the flax egg, vanilla and baking soda and mix until there are no lumps.
- Using a tablespoon, form dough into balls. Place on the baking sheet and then using a wet fork, press down on the dough to form the cross shapes.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly golden. Cookies will appear undercooked at first but will firm as they cool.
- Once cookies have cooled and ganache has hardened, add ½ to 1 tablespoon of ganache to the top of each cookie before topping with another to form a sandwich.
- Keep cookies in fridge until ready to eat!
What is your favorite way to use ganache?