This Vegan Cinnamon Roll Cake tastes just like the beloved sweet pastry but is gluten-free and dairy-free! With a delicious and sweet cinnamon swirl running throughout fluffy white cake, this Vegan Cinnamon Roll Cake is topped with a simple dairy-free cream cheese frosting.
Friends, let me introduce you to your new favorite cake – the Vegan Cinnamon Roll Cake
That might be a bit forward of me to say, especially if you aren’t a fan of cinnamon rolls, but ya’ll this cake? It’s to die for. Let me tell you just how I know that.
My family is a dessert loving family and because of this we tend to have a lot of sweet treats for Thanksgiving. Mom#2 asked me to whip up a dessert for Thanksgiving Day that I would be able to eat [since the other options are non-gluten free] and that would be different from the 3 other pies we are going to be having. My first thought of course – cake!!
I went back and forth on what kind of cake I should make for Thanksgiving before finally settling on a spiced/cinnamon option. I wanted something different from apple and pumpkin since we are going to have apple and pumpkin pies already, but I also didn’t want something super rich like chocolate. A lighter spice cake seemed like the perfect fit!
And friends? It is totally a perfect fit.
Another reason why I opted to go the cinnamon route is because Bestie came up this weekend. Bestie’s birthday was in October and when I used to live near her in LA we would always take each other out for our birthday’s and eat cake/cheesecake together. It’s just kind of our thing. So with her coming up I kind of wanted to re-create that tradition while also using her as a guinea pig to test out my new vegan cinnamon roll cake recipe. It was pretty genius planning on my part if I do say so myself 😉
I can’t even with that frosting. Holy yum.
And while this vegan cinnamon roll cake was supposed to be a surprise for my family on Thanksgiving Day, they ended up swinging by to see Bestie and her nugget. It took about 20 seconds before Little Bro got wind of the cake and then it was all over – he, Little Sissy and Daddy all helped themselves to a slice. The verdict? They all loved it! Brother raved about the cake until he found out that it was gluten-free and vegan, then he decided that he hated it. 😉
Needless to say, this vegan cinnamon roll cake is a winner! It got a big thumbs up from my entire family – which I really wasn’t expecting! I mean I knew it was good, but good enough to trick my entire family into thinking it was a regular old cake? Boom! [drop the mic!]
That cinnamon layer though.
And while this cake is both vegan and gluten-free, it tastes just like a cinnamon roll! I was kind of amazed actually. Of course the cream cheese frosting helps 😉
But guys, the real surprise of this cake was Ninja. Ninja isn’t a big cake fan but he loooooved this cake. So much so that he ate the remaining slice of the cake for breakfast – then proceeded to tell me that I should bake this cake at least once a week. I’d say this cake recipe was beyond a success!
So, are you looking for something different for your Thanksgiving dessert table?
This cake is your answer! With numerous rants and raves from my family this has now become my go-to cake for get-togethers and parties. It’s just fabulous!
- 1 3/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegan butter substitute, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dairy-free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup vegan butter substitute
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- shake of cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts [optional]
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond milk and vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, beat together the almond milk mixture, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking soda and sea salt. Beat until smooth. Pour batter into cake pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat together the filling ingredients. Once smooth, drop by spoonfuls over the cake batter. Swirl into the batter using a knife.
- Bake cake for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, beat together the frosting ingredients.
- Once cake is cooled, spread frosting generously over cake making sure to frost the sides. Add walnuts if using.
Looking for more vegan cake recipes like this Vegan Cinnamon Roll Cake?
What are you making for Thanksgiving dessert?