Enjoy cookies for breakfast with these Superfood Breakfast Cookies! Packed with superfood ingredients such as chia seeds, hemp seeds and cacao nibs, these cookies are nutrient dense, gluten-free and vegan.
Cookies for breakfast? Yes, friends – this is truly happening. It wasn’t easy though.
I almost felt like Goldie Locks trying to figure this recipe out. First they were too oat based, then too flour based, then I played around with an egg replacement, then I tried out different superfoods…
Needless to say, lots of different varieties of breakfast cookies were made. In the end, these Superfood Breakfast Cookies were the most appealing visually, most nutrient dense and of course, the most delicious. How delicious you ask? Well, even Daddy gave them the thumbs up! I didn’t bother to tell him they were vegan or packed with several different superfoods – why ruin a good thing, right? 😉
But I know what you guys are really wanting to know; Why cookies?
To which my response is – why not cookies?!
Let’s not judge these Superfood Breakfast Cookies by their name, ok? Just because I’m calling them cookies does not mean that they are filled with refined sugars, flours and oil. In fact, I would imagine that you could bake these cookies into bars instead and they would make for a perfect superfood granola bar! How’s that for turning a recipe on it’s head 😉
Which I’m actually considering trying that out now, just to see if it works. If anyone else gives it a try, please let me know!
Cookies are more fun though – at least in my opinion!
So let’s talk superfoods.
These Superfood Breakfast Cookies contain:
- chia seeds
- hemp seeds
- maca powder
- cacao nibs
That’s a pretty hefty amount of nutrition! From healthy omega-3 fatty acids to antioxidants and protein [not to mention soooo much more!], these cookies pretty much have it all. Told you guys that cookies for breakfast needs to become a thing 😉
And by the way, you don’t get some tiny cookie for breakfast with these superfood breakfast cookies. Each cookie is roughly 1/4 cup of batter so you are getting plenty of calories, complex carbohydrates, fiber, protein and other nutrients – just what you need to start the day off right! Not to mention they make the perfect portable and on-the-go breakfast for those days when you have to rush out the door. Also, they pair really well with coffee 😉
So, who’s ready to jump on board this cookies for breakfast trend?!
- 1½ cups gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup coconut oil, softened
- ½ cup almond butter
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rolled oats, coconut, cinnamon, maca, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flax egg, coconut oil, almond butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add chia seeds, hemp seeds and cacao nibs. Stir until just combined.
- Using ¼ cup at a time, shape batter into cookie shape and place on baking sheet. Bake cookies for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cookies for breakfast – yay or nay?