This PB&J Quinoa Breakfast Wrap is the perfect on-the-go fuel! Gluten-free, vegan and packed with plant-based protein, make these wraps ahead of time and store them in the fridge for a quick snack or breakfast when you are in a hurry.
Since starting my new job as a Trainer and Coach, I’ve only run into one downside – breakfast.
Allow me to explain:
Tuesdays and Thursdays are my lower body days, so I simply get my own workout done right after my class has finished up at 6am on those days. No issues with breakfast there – I simply slam down a quick bite to eat before I jump into my warm-up and I’m good to go.
The issue that I’ve been having however, comes after I teach the 6am classes on Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays. See, I really love coaching – but I also really love taking the class myself. The next class after the one that I teach isn’t until 9am though and I don’t live close enough to the gym to make it worth it to drive home then come back, so I typically hang around the gym from 7am until the class starts at 9am. That leaves me with two hours to eat and then complete my lifting session (or sprints, depending on what the workout looks like for the class that day).
I’ve experimented with a few breakfasts the past month to see which one works best for my schedule and holds me over until after my 9am class.
So far I’ve tried:
- overnight oats [didn’t like having to pack a tupperware & spoon in my gym bag]
- homemade energy bites with a banana [ not enough to hold me over through class]
- banana and mixed nuts [ ran out of energy by 9am class]
I know that I could simply pack more food, however with everything that I already bring with me [travel coffee mug, change of clothes, towel, headphones, BioFreeze, etc] I really don’t want to have to load my bag up with yet another thing of food. Sooooo I’ve had to get creative with breakfast ideas – and this is what I came up with!
I had a few “must-haves” for my ideal breakfast / pre-workout meal.
- It needed to be enough food to hold me over through my lifting session and HIIT class while not being too heavy to give me a side stitch or make me sluggish during my lift.
- It had to be good cold.
- It couldn’t be stinky – I don’t want to be that co-worker with the stinky food!
- It needed to be finger food – the less I have to pack the better!
- It had to be heavy on the carbs, yet still contain some protein – carbs = my fuel!
After racking my brain for a bit and experimenting with the options up above, I finally found something that I think is going to work beautifully.
Allow me to introduce you to the PB&J Quinoa Breakfast Wrap
Ain’t she pretty? 😉
Now the idea for these wraps actually came from Lindsay over at Cotter Crunch. She posted her own breakfast wraps a week or so back that immediately caught my attention. Inspired by her idea I got to thinking up my own to address my personal needs and this is what I came up with!
This PB&J Quinoa Breakfast Wrap is:
- loaded with plant-based protein
- quick & simple
It also utilizes one of my all time favorite combos – PB&J!
Now to make this PB&J Quinoa Breakfast Wrap even more powerful, I used a homemade chia jam.
You can of course use whatever jelly or jam you prefer, however the addition of chia seeds in this wrap really helps provide a few things:
- Essential omega-3 fatty acids
- Filling fiber
- Muscle-building protein
- plus a bunch of vitamins and minerals!
I like to sneak in a little extra nutrition whenever I can, which is what makes this wrap so perfect. Not only are you getting all of those insane benefits of quinoa [complete plant-based protein, antioxidants, heart-healthy nutrients] but you are also getting in the benefits of chia seeds – I’d say that makes for quite the nutritional punch in one meal, wouldn’t you?
Since adding this PB&J Quinoa Breakfast Wrap to my arsenal I have had:
- 0 side stitches during my workout
- 0 low energy workouts
- 0 workouts with hunger pangs
So far, so good I would say! I am actually really, really enjoying these little beauties. They are super simple to make ahead as well – I just keep a large batch of cooked quinoa in the fridge along with my chia jam, then put a wrap together as needed! I make them 2-3 at a time so that they stay fresh and then wrap them in clear wrap and foil until I’m ready to inhale them. Such a great breakfast [or snack!] on the go!
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter, all natural
- 2 tablespoons homemade strawberry chia jam, or jam of choice
- diced strawberries, or fruit of choice
- 2 brown rice tortillas
- Strawberry Chia Seed Jam:
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon, maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- For the Jam:
- Add the strawberries to a medium pot. Heat over medium heat for 10 minutes or until berries have broken down and become syrupy.
- Remove berries from heat and mash. Stir in lemon juice, maple syrup and chia seeds.
- Allow jam to thicken for 5-10 minutes before placing in a jar with a lid.
- Keep jam in the fridge until ready to use.
- For the Wraps:
- Lay your tortillas out flat. Spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1 tablespoon of jam onto each tortillas.
- Mix together the quinoa and cinnamon. Divide the quinoa evenly amongst the tortillas, ½ cup each.
- Top each tortilla with chopped strawberries.
- Wrap tortillas tightly, foling in the ends as you roll to keep everything intact. Wrap each tortilla in clear wrap, then in foil. Place in the fridge until ready to eat.
What is your go-to pre-workout meal?