This health-boosting Green Milk Latte is a combination of spirulina and matcha – two incredible superfoods. Rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and much more, this latte is dairy-free, paleo and easily made vegan.
2018 is going to be the year of the Green Milk Latte – mark my words.
Ok so maybe not, but it never ceases to amaze me how each year there tends to be some new food craze that everyone jumps on board with. I’m not saying that it’s a bad thing, after all Golden Milk was all the rage last year and I’m 100% on board that train, however I do think it’s a bit funny that without fail each year there seems to be some kind of “craze” going around. And considering that this Green Milk Latte is dairy-free, paleo and chock full of so much goodness its nearly laughable, I’ve got a feeling that this latte could really take off.
But what do I know. After all, I’m sort of biased on the topic 😉
But with this being just the 2nd full week of the New Year, I thought now was as good a time as ever to share this incredible health-boosting drink with you guys. And just in case you were wondering, it’s also super yummy – I’m not one of those people who likes to force feed themselves healthy food just because its good for them. I like my stuff to taste gooooood – and this latte totally does 🙂
The story behind this recipe is a simple one – I was making my daily matcha latte when I accidently grabbed my spirulina instead. As soon as I opened the container I knew it was the wrong one, spirulina is a rich, dark green as opposed to matcha’s much lighter shade, however that “accident” got me thinking. Why not combine the two into one great latte?!
So what makes this Green Milk Latte so great? Check out the ingredients!
- almond milk or water
- matcha powder
- honey, maple or stevia
- coconut butter
I’ve made this latte several ways and the recipe I’m sharing with you today is by far my favorite, however nearly all of the ingredients are optional or customizable in some way. Want a vegan latte? Skip the collagen and use maple syrup or stevia to sweeten. Want a latte lower in fat? Skip the coconut butter. There’s so many different options!
But of course the real stars of this latte are the spirulina and matcha powder.
- complete source of high quality protein
- rich in iron, B1 and calcium
- contains omega 3, omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids but is especially rich in omega-3s
- high in antioxidants
- considered gram for gram to be one of the most nutritious foods on the planet!
- High in antioxidants including catechins and EGCG, antioxidants that are widely known for their cancer fighting properties
- Can help boost brain power and memory
Not a bad set of main ingredients, right? 😉
I don’t know what resolutions or health goals you’ve set for yourself this year, however I can assure you that no matter what they are, this Green Milk Latte can help you achieve them. Well, unless your goal is to give up matcha lattes, of course 😉
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- ½ teaspoon spirulina
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins collagen
- ½ tablespoon coconut butter
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Add the almond milk, matcha powder and spirulina to a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until hot.
- Pour almond milk mixture into a high speed blender along with remaining ingredients. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until frothy and smooth.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!
What health trend were you not a fan of?