These gluten-free apple cupcakes are topped with a delicious and simple butterscotch frosting for a match made in cupcake heaven!
Want to know what I’ve been eating lately? Cupcakes. Lots and lots of cupcakes.
More specifically these gluten-free apple cupcakes with butterscotch frosting, though I do have another cupcake recipe set to go live on the blog soon. Hey with Love Day less than a month away, I’m just trying to make sure you guys are properly prepared! 😉 But really guys, the desserts coming to the blog this upcoming month are ridiculous. I need to do some serious diet clean-up after all these sugar-filled nuggets of goodness!
Alright, so let’s talk butterscotch.
Butterscotch is a really underrated flavor in my opinion. So often we hear the love affair with chocolate, caramel, toffee and even vanilla, but where’s the love for butterscotch? Thankfully if you need a recipe to get you hooked, I’ve got just the one for you today!
But wait – apple and butterscotch? Isn’t it supposed to be apple and caramel?
Well sure, if you want to be boring!! Kidding…but really. Caramel move aside – there’s a new fabulous duo in town!
I will admit that butterscotch has never ranked high on my go-to flavors list – that is until these cupcakes of course! And when butterscotch is combined with apples? Yumm, my friends.
Confession time – I totally burnt the first batch of these gluten-free apple cupcakes so badly that they couldn’t be saved, regardless of how much frosting I added on top. And ya’ll I frosted those suckers up good. Isn’t it sad when tasty treats get burned? I was very upset to have to toss them [don’t fret, I saved the frosting!]. Thankfully the second batch came out much better – not a bit of burnt cupcake in sight!
But let’s be real – the true star of these cupcakes is the butterscotch frosting!
It’s not an overpowering butterscotch flavor either. The frosting only calls for 1/2 cup of butterscotch chips so while the flavor is present, it isn’t exactly dominant. It’s one of those flavors that builds as you go, which means that you probably won’t even taste it immediately. It’s when you are licking your lips after that first bite that the butterscotch flavor really creeps in.
Even better is how the flavors in these gluten-free apple cupcakes seem to meld as they sit. Day one they were pretty delicious but day two they were phenominal. Gimme all the cupcakes!! [makes grabby hands]
Side note – Bestie has just informed me that she is going to be buying me some new frosting tips for my birthday, which means my cupcake recipes should start to look like professional, bakery cupcakes pretty soon. Needless to say I am pretty excited about that! If that isn’t an excuse to try out some new cupcake recipes than I don’t know what is. Until then though, you guys are going to have to deal with my lame frosting skills. Sorry!
True story, I actually tried to frost these cupcakes with four different frosting tips before throwing in the towel and just settling on the one you see here. None of them gave me the look I was going for, so I just ended up settling. Lame. Thankfully soon [thanks to Bestie!] I should be a frosting pro!
Regardless of how it looks though, this butterscotch frosting is a down right treasure. I’m already thinking up other ways to use it – wouldn’t it be amazing paired with my vegan chocolate cupcakes? I think so! Though maybe a cake instead of cupcakes, just to change things up a bit.
Alright enough of my babbling, here’s the recipe for these amazing gluten-free apple cupcakes! I hope that you guys get a chance to make them. At the very least make the frosting! 😉
- 1 1/4 cup guten-free all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large apples, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-4 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Beat together the coconut oil, white sugar and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until creamy.
- Mix almond milk mixture into sugar mixture until well incoporated.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sea salt and cinnamon. Add to the wet ingredients, mixing slowly until no lumps remain. Stir in the shredded apple.
- Fill each muffin tin 3/4 way full. Bake cupcakes for 12-15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are cooking, melt butterscotch chips in the microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Once butterscotch mixture is cool to the touch, beat together with the butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Add milk as needed until frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, frost them with butterscotch frosting.
What are your thoughts on butterscotch?