This delicious gluten-free and vegan coffee granola is flavored with real coffee and loaded with crunchy cacao nibs.
Apparently I like to torture myself.
That really is the only reason why I apparently made this coffee granola – to torture myself. You see, if there is one food that I have absolutely zero willpower over, it’s granola. And then I go ahead and flavor it with coffee, my go-to drink of choice? Wow – I certainly must hate myself.
Kidding. But really.
It’s been years since I’ve made granola – years, people! And for good reason – no.willpower. I ate roughly 20% of the clusters in this coffee granola five minutes after it came out of the oven. I then continued to eat the remaining 80% of clusters while photo shooting it. If you look closely at the photo below, you may notice a certain lack of any granola clusters. Oops.
I mean I guess there’s a few little clusters in there still!
Why on earth I even made this coffee granola is beyond me. I think it’s because of the changes in weather – warm granola and almond milk is one of those “comfort” foods that I turn to in the colder weather months for a snack. If y’all have never tried your granola warm with wamr milk, what are you doing with your life! Pour that stuff in a bowl, slosh in some dairy-free milk and pop it in the microwave or heat it on the stove-top for a few seconds. It’s pretty glorious.
I guess with the slight dip in temperature lately I thought it would be a good time to stock up on granola. Well, there isn’t actually much of a “stock” now [no seriously, no willpower!] seeing as how this batch is down to roughly only 1/4 of the jar. Again, oops.
So let’s talk coffee flavored goodies – are you a fan?
I personally could eat anything flavored with coffee – it’s one of my all time favorite flavors! It’s also one of my favorite smells. I could sit in a coffee shop all day just to smell that freshly brewed magic! In fact, Bestie and I used to spend hours in coffee shops together, sipping our coffee, chatting about life and inhaling the wonderous scent that is coffee.
That being said, if you aren’t that big of a fan of coffee flavored goods then
we can’t be friends this coffee granola probably isn’t for you. The coffee flavor isn’t subtle – it’s noticeable and even more so when the cacao nibs are added! I know that not everyone is a fan of the bitterness of cacao nibs but I personally adore them. Plus, I think they pair really well with coffee! If you prefer your coffee granola without them though, just skip ’em.
And if you prefer to eat all of the delicious clusters as soon as this coffee granola exits the oven, well, I won’t tell 😉
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons coffee extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cacao nibs [optional]
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the rolled oats, flaxseed and sea salt.
- In a small pan over medium heat, add the coconut oil, maple syrup, coffee, coffee extract and vanilla. Stir until melted and smooth. Pour over oat mixture and toss to coat.
- Spread granola over prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove granola from oven and sprinkle with cacao nibs. Cool completely before storing in a sealed jar or container.
Are you a fan of coffee flavored goods?