Rich, crunchy and sweet, these Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cups are full of smooth, peppermint-infused coconut butter. vegan / gluten-free
And just like that the holiday festivities, visits and vacations are over with 🙁
I’ve actually got one more holiday party this weekend at my grandma’s so I get to cling to all things Christmas for just a bit longer – which I think also makes it ok that I’ve got just one more peppermint recipe to share with you guys. I just coudln’t help myself I guess!
You remember those Chocolate Caramel Crunch Cups from a few months back? Well, I couldn’t help myself – I had a bunch of leftover candy canes hanging around the kitchen and though I was tempted to make yet another batch of those Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti, I had a gut feeling that they were destined for something even greater.
And apparently I was right because Little Sissy got a hold of one and it was the beginning of the end of these little bites of Holiday joy. She sat on my couch and ate not one, not two, but six – nearly polishing off the entire mini-batch that I had made for myself.
I swear I see more of myself in her every day.
Of course she had no idea what exactly was in these Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cups.
I considered not telling her – it’s fun to watch her squirm when she finds that she likes my “weird” foods – but in the end I caved and told her the ingredients. Not that it really mattered, she had never had coconut butter before anyway! Regardless I think she was impressed with my concoction, though she did want me to make sure that everyone knew this recipe makes mini chocolate peppermint crunch cups. Apparently she’s still scarred from when I made her a batch of those Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cups that were also mini. She thought from the photos that the cups were large – and was very upset when I showed up with a bag of mini chocolate cups!
And though she didn’t have any complaints about these chocolate cups in particular, she did mention that they would be better if they were larger in size. I guess I can’t say that she’s wrong! That being said this recipe is for mini chocolate peppermint crunch cups but that doesn’t mean that you can’t double the recipe to make them into full sized treats. For myself and portion control purposes however, mini was the better choice 😉
The best part about this recipe though is that it literally requires just 4 ingredients:
- dairy-free chocolate chips
- brown rice crisp cereal
- coconut butter
- peppermint extract
The candy canes are optional, which means that this recipe could easily be enjoyed year round, however I think the candy canes add the perfect extra coomph to these cups.
I also didn’t add any sweetener to the coconut butter because I find the chocolate to be sweet enough, however if you want you can add a teaspoon or so of maple syrup to the mixture you can! I also make my coconut butter at home, because buying that stuff is straight highway robbery, but a store-bought coconut butter is just as good!
And now with the addition of these Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cups, I’d say that my holiday recipes are complete, though I must say that makes me pretty dang depressed to say. As much as I love all of the seasons I’ve gotta say, there’s just something special about the month of December.
I’ve got some really awesome recipes planned for the beginning of the year though, so I’m excited to get to work on sharing some new things with you guys! I still can’t believe that 2017 is nearly over but I think that 2018 might just have a trick or two up her sleeve 😉 I can’t wait to find out! Until then you can find me powering through the last of these Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cups – of which I’m sure I’ll be making more of if Little Sissy has anything to say about it!
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- ½ cup gluten-free brown rice crisp cereal
- ⅓ cup coconut butter
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- candy canes, crushed
- Line a mini muffin pan with liners. Set aside.
- Add ½ cup of chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high until melted and stir until smooth. Add the brown rice crisp cereal and stir to incorporate.
- Spoon chocolate cereal mixture into the bottom of each muffin tin, pressing down firmly. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- If coconut butter is hard, microwave for a few seconds until warm and runny. Stir in peppermint extract. Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of coconut butter on top of each of the chocolate cups. Place back into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Melt the remaining chocolate chips and stir until smooth. Distribute over the top of the chocolate cups evenly. Shake the pan gently so the chocolate will settle smoothly before sprinkling with crushed candy canes.
- Allow cups to set up in the freezer before removing from wrappers and storing in the fridge.
Are you ready for 2018?!