These Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Crispy Bars are a gluten-free treat! Packed with protein, these bars can also be vegan when made with a plant based protein powder.
It’s embarassing how many batches of these Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Crispy Bars I’ve made.
When I first made them it was for myself, as both an experiment and a sweet treat, however upon seeing the tray of them in the fridge, Ninja’s eyebrows shot up his forehead and he turned to look at me, “Can I try these?” he said with a hopeful tone.
Ninja knows the rules – no sampling the goodies until I’ve done the photoshoot.
What he didn’t know was that the batch he was eyeing was indeed the second batch I had made, the first was made the week before when he was out of town. I had already snapped the photos as well, which meant that the bars were available to sample. I, however, wanted to torture my dear hubby, so I told him he had to wait. With a huff and a mutter under his breath, he shut the fridge door and walked away.
I snickered, got up from my couch and grabbed myself a bar from the tray. When Ninja returned and saw me eating one, his mouth opened and shut a few times as if he was struggling for the right words, then he opened the fridge door and grabbed himself his own. Or I suppose I should say, he grabbed two of his own.
I’m so mean sometimes.
And since the first bite, Ninja has been requesting more and more batches be made.
Can’t say I’m upset about it though!
Now even though the purpose of these Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Crispy Bars was to be a sort of Luna Bar knock off, a rice crispy type bar with additional protein powder to give it some oomph, these bars really taste like more of a dessert than a protein bar. The ingredients list is simple [which is my favorite part!] however the flavors are prominent – and who doesn’t love a good peanut butter and chocolate combination?!
And so while I’m calling these a protein bar due to their inclusion of protein powder, I actually haven’t been using them as a protein bar – at all. In fact, they’ve been deemed the perfect dessert according to Ninja, who even volunteered to give up his nightly ice cream and fudge as long as the fridge was well stocked with these sweet treats.
And what kind of a wife would I be to deny my hubby healthy, delicious treats? 😉
Though if I’m being honest, it really isn’t even about him. I 100% am obsessed with these beauties too!
Which is probably why we’ve actually gone through so many batches. I think Ninja and I are having a private competition to see who can get the last bar before the other one nabs it, we just don’t want to be the first one to come right out and say it. Soooo I’ve just started making another batch as soon as one gets low. That’s one way to avoid conflicts in marriage, right? 😉
So whether you are on the lookout for a new protein bar or are simply in the market for a new sweet treat to obsess over, these Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Crispy Bars are the answer. Seriously – just ask Ninja!
- 3 cups brown rice crispies cereal, gluten-free
- ¼ cup gluten-free oat flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup vanilla protein powder [use plant-based for vegan]
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup chocolate chips, dairy-free
- Prepare an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, vanilla extract, maple syrup and coconut oil until smooth.
- Gently stir in the oat flour, brown rice cereal and sea salt. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and cover with another sheet of parchment. Press down firmly to flatten and even out - don't be afraid to crush the cereal, you want too! Set in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Once the bars have partially solidified, melt your chocolate. In a small bowl, microwave the chocolate chips in 30 second increments until melted. Pour over bars and smooth to cover.
- Place bars in either the fridge or the freezer to set up. Once firm, slice into 8 bars.
Do you make your own protein / granola bars?