Wholesome enough for breakfast and sweet enough for dessert, this gluten-free Caramelized Banana Parfait with Coffee Granola is sure to be your new obsession!
As much as I enjoy camping, I’ve gotta say that it felt good to sleep in my own bed last night.
Ninja and I had a great time with my siblings this past weekend and I can’t wait to share some of the details of the trip with you guys. Stay tuned later this week for the recap! 🙂
But until then, we need to discuss this Caramelized Banana Parfait – or at least try to discuss it. I really haven’t fully grasped the right words for it!
That caramel drizzle though….
Have you ever had a moment when creating a recipe that the lightbulb literally explodes in your head? Or maybe fireworks shoot off? How about a confetti explosion? Anyone?
That is literally what happened with this parfait recipe. I was laying in bed one night jotting down some recipe ideas when my mind started to drift towards caramel recipes. That train of thought then in turn made me think of Bestie [who is a caramel fanatic] which then made me think of coffee [because her and I drink lots and lots of coffee together!]. Put those two things into the mix along with some granola for crunch and you’ve got the idea for this Caramelized Banana Parfait!
Que lightbulb explosions, fireworks shooting off and confetti falling from the sky.
So let’s talk details, because this parfait has a lot of tasty components to it.
It would seem that this year’s food theme for my blog is flavors of three because quite a few of my recipes have been taking that route! And of course this parfait is no different – with caramel, coffee and bananas, it’s a pretty magical triple threat.
First and foremost we’ve gotta talk about the caramel sauce. I used the same recipe as I did for the Banana Foster Waffles [which are in desperate need of new pictures]. It’s super simple and quick to make, plus it makes quite a lot of caramel. Then of course there’s the caramelized bananas, which are simply bananas that cook up in coconut oil until they get nice and caramelized. So good guys – so, so good.
And then there’s the coffee granola.
I used a coconut milk yogurt so that I could keep these parfaits dairy-free and vegan, however any type of plain yogurt would great in these parfaits. Using a plain Greek yogurt would help to increase the protein content too! Whatever you decide, just don’t skimp on the caramel sauce, ok? It totally takes this Caramelized Banana Parfait over the top – in the best way, of course 😉
The day I was doing the photoshoot for these parfaits is actually the week that Ninja had his best friend in town visiting. I had just finished the photos and was begging Ninja to take a bite [I mean seriously, who wouldn’t want to snag a bite of this gloriousness?!] when Ninja’s friend politely said, “I’ll take a bite!” And when I say politely said, I mean it was more of an all out declaration.
Well, that one bite turned into two which then turned into most of the parfait being consumed followed by, “Wow. This is really good!”
Yep – This Caramelized Banana Parfait is friend-approved!
But even if it wasn’t, I would still recommend this parfait. It seriously is just that good. I wish I could more eloquently describe how good it is, but my brain is a little fried from the amount of sun I got this weekend. Forgive me? 😉
- For the Granola:
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Parfait:
- 1 cup coconut milk yogurt [or yogurt of choice]
- 2 bananas
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Paleo Caramel Sauce [or caramel sauce of choice]
- ½ cup coffee granola
- To Make the Granola:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, toss together the dry ingredients.
- In a small saucepan, melt together the coconut oil, maple syrup, coffee and vanilla until smooth. Once smooth, pour over dry ingredients. Toss to coat.
- Spread granola onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
- To Make Caramelized Bananas:
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add coconut oil.
- Slice bananas into thick rounds and sprinkle with cinnamon. Place bananas flat into the skillet. Cook for one minute, then gently flip and cook for another minute. Remove from heat.
- To Assemble Parfaits:
- Divide yogurt, granola and banana slices amongst two glasses. Drizzle with caramel sauce and serve.
Are you a fan of the caramel coffee flavor?