Inspired by the decadent dessert banana split, this Breakfast Banana Split is a wholesome and tasty way to start your morning! Gluten-free.
Ya’ll, I am literally oatmeal obsessed right now.
We are going on week 2 of solid rain [with a pretty big storm hitting us this past weekend!] and because of that rain, all I have wanted for breakfast every morning is a big bowl of warm oatmeal.
Now as much as I love my oats I’ve gotta be honest – the same bowl every day really isn’t that exciting. I’m pretty certain that I could eat oatmeal in some form every day for the rest of my life, however the same.exact.bowl is getting to be a bit tiresome and boring. My go-to bowl is oats, cinnamon, berries/banana and nut butter. It’s simple, basic, easy and quick – but not all that exilirating after 10 straight mornings.
So I decided to step out of my normal oatmeal box and try something new!
Now as much as I adore my overnight oats, I think this breakfast banana split just took the top spot as my favorite oatmeal recipe of all time. In fact, it might even be my favorite breakfast recipe period – though breakfast pizza is pretty far up there too 😉
So here’s how this Breakfast Banana Split works:
- Three scoops of thick oatmeal instead of ice cream
- Greek yogurt instead of whipped cream
- Hemp seeds, chopped almonds and chocolate chips instead of sprinkles
- Warmed all-natural strawberry jam instead of chocolate syrup
If that doesn’t sound like an amazing breakfast then there is something wrong with you!
I used plain Greek yogurt and doctored it up with some maple syrup for added sweetness, however dairy-free yogurt can be used in its place if you have aversions to dairy or are wanting this breakfast banana split to be vegan. I wanted the extra protein boost from the Greek yogurt as I typically have my oatmeal post-workout, but feel free to adapt and alter this recipe as you need to!
I have already made this recipe a few ways, including making the oatmeal different flavors to make it more like a traditional banana split. Banana splits are made with vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream, so once I cook up my oatmeal I divide it into three and mix one with cocoa powder, one with mashed berries and leave the other plain. It’s pretty dang tasty!
I thought the plain version made for better pictures though 😉
So, whose ready to take their plain old boring oatmeal to the next level? I promise you – you won’t regret it!
- 1 banana, sliced in half lengthwise
- ½ cup cooked oatmeal, prepared thick
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 3 large strawberries, sliced or diced
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon all natural strawberry jam, warmed
- Place banana cut side up on a plate. Scoop three scoops of oatmeal onto banana.
- Mix together the greek yogurt and maple syrup. Once sweetened to desired taste, spread over top of oatmeal.
- Sprinkle on strawberries, hemp seeds, nuts and chocolate chips.
- Drizzle warmed srawberry jam over top.
- Use a dairy-free yogurt to make this recipe vegan.
How do you spice up your oatmeal?