Start your day off on the sweet side with these Banana’s Fosters Waffles. Packed with banana flavor and drizzled with a paleo caramel sauce, these gluten-free waffles are finished off with just a touch of coconut whip cream!
I’m so happy that Mr. Waffle and I have rekindled our love affair.
Since my last recipe, I have been waffle brain-storming almost daily. I considered a pumpkin waffle at first, and I’m sure that recipe will come at some point, but my taste buds right now are all about bananas for some reason!
Now I’m normally not one for a super sweet breakfast. Don’t get me wrong, I still crave donuts every now and again, but for the most part I prefer simple breakfast foods like oatmeal or eggs.
That being said, I could see myself eating these Banana’s Foster Waffles every day for breakfast for a long, long time. When this recipe started in my head, I actually just wanted to create a simple banana waffle, reminicent of maybe a banana bread. But then I found a recipe for paleo caramel sauce. And then I realized I had a can of coconut cream in the fridge, just waiting to be used.
Let me just warn you here – this recipe is most definietly sweet. The waffle itself isn’t sweet at all, but that paleo caramel sauce? Wowza. It’s good, people. Almost too good.
I know that it doesn’t compare to the dark, thick texture of normal caramel sauce, but this paleo version is made with maple syrup and coconut milk, not sugar and heavy cream, so there are bound to be some differences. The taste however, is still out of this world incredible. I actually got sick off of it while shooting these photos, because I kept dipping my finger into the sauce. Oops.
I mean really, could you push this plate away?
I am so certain that these waffles are a winner that I am planning on whipping them up for Little Sissy and Brother when they stay over next. I’m not going to tell them what they are or what they are made of, but I can almost guarantee that they will love them! And if they don’t, well then they clearly aren’t related to me.
Ok, ok, enough with the pictures!
Here’s the recipe for these Banana’s Foster Waffles – I hope you love them as much as I do!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your waffle maker. Spray it with cooking spray
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt
- In another bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, maple syrup and mashed banana.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until well combined.
- Pour 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup batter into your waffle maker
- Cook as per waffle maker directions
- In a large sauce pan, combine the coconut milk, maple syrup and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
- Add coconut oil and vanilla extract and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring so the caramel doesn't burn.
- Let cool, then store in the fridge or use immediately!
Do you prefer a sweet breakfast or a more savory breakfast?