Packed with plant-based protein, these Banana Hemp Seed Muffins are gluten-free, refined sugar free and vegan!
It’s been a while since I’ve posted a muffin recipe to the blog.
And by a while I mean a month. Well, I guess two months. It’s been since late May – can you believe that?! I feel like I was posting muffin recipes every week there for a while, which I sort of was, but after this long and drawn out break [sarcasm folks] I’ve returned with yet another fluffy, delicious muffin for you.
This time of the plant-based variety!
Allow me to introduce you to the Banana Hemp Seed Muffin.
Side note, is anyone else forever ruined by Minions saying “banana?”
Because I literally can’t say the word anymore without hearing a Minion in my head…
And if you have no idea what I’m talking about, shame on you. You need to get up to date with your kid movies. Despicable Me is movie perfection.
Alright – moving on now.
After returning from my weekend long camping trip, I was happy to find that my bananas had turned brown, speckled and perfectly ripe. Unfortunetly my bananas normally don’t last that long – I typically eat at least one a day in either a smoothie or yogurt bowl, so they never get the chance to ripen to their full potential [aka to their baking perfection]. Apparently leaving my house for a few days is the only way to truly let my bananas due their thing.
Wait – does anyone know if stores actually sell overly ripe bananas somewhere? Like, maybe in the back? Is there a black market for these things? Maybe out of the back of the store in a dark alley way…
Wow – the things I think about at 6am on a Saturday morning.
So anyway, after finding my bananas to be perfectly ripe, I set about putting them to use.
I’m going to be straight with you guys, these Banana Hemp Seed Muffins almost never came to fruition. I actually almost made a banana cream pie instead – which is still going to happen at some point so stay turned for that. It wasn’t until I realized my craving for a super fluffy muffin that I opted to bake these beauties up instead. It was a close call but in the end I’m really glad I went the muffin route.
I think you will be too 😉
So, why hemp seeds? Well, besides completely forgetting that I had a bag stowed away in my pantry, I absolutely adore the health benefits they provide.
Hemps seeds are:
- high in GLA, an essential omega-6 fatty acid that helps to balance hormones
- a complete protein, containing all 20 amino acids including the 9 essential amino acids our bodies cannot make
- rich in vitamin E
- high in digestible protein
- and much more
With all those benefits, why not add them into my diet more?!
I hope that you guys get the chance to make these super simple yet totally amazing banana hemp seed muffins and if you do, please let me know! Share your thoughts and photos with #katalysthealth so that I can see!
- 2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup hemp seeds, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the bananas, almond butter, almond milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add the oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt and cinnamon and mix until no lumps remain. Gently stir in hemp seeds.
- Scoop batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with extra hemp seeds, if desired. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
What’s one ingredient you would like to use more?